Monday 28 January 2013

Fish-hooked Monday

Mildred and her
best friend Maud
Today I feel like I’ve been rudely jerked into Monday by a giant fish hook. There I was, all Sunday-ish and kind to small kittens, when all of a sudden – wham! Into Monday I go, without so much as a by-your-leave, or an excuse-me.

A fish-hooked look is one of startled scruffiness, I’ve decided. In fact, my inspiration today appears to have come from The Worst Witch’s Mildred Hubble. I am sporting a very similar plait, which is tied not only where you’d expect but also ‘in the middle’ with a ribbon snipped from a clothes item. Now, at 7am this seemed the height of sophisticated practicality. It was keeping unruly hair ruled and was the only thing to hand. But, in the harsh strip lighting of a corporate-ish office, why do I have a random piece of ribbon in my hair? I don’t know.

Another inspiring 7am idea was to pair suit trousers (a nod to respectability) with trainers that have a go-faster bright blue stripe. Fine, you may say, but I forgot I fretfully painted my fingernails varying shades of pink in a WHY-WON’T-MY-INTERNET-WORK! tedium crisis on Saturday. I’m also wearing a pink scarf. So, ignoring the plait thing, I look like I’ve almost thought about my look today – and then you glance down at my trainers and realise oh, actually, whatever stylistically matches is a pure lucky stumble.

This wasn’t going to be a blog post on being fish-hooked into Mondays. It was going to be a Very Intelligent article on Art, Science, and Deep Thoughts. So I’d like everyone to just imagine that for a minute instead.

...

...

...

I thank you.

7 comments:

Laura S. said...

Oh, Mondays. Wishing you a wonderful week, Jayne!!

Johanna Garth said...

I love the crazy pink fingernails with more somber business clothes look. I used to sport it on a semi-regular basis.

Old Kitty said...

I want to be fish hooked on Mondays too! :-)

Take care
x

snafu said...

As an in depth comment on art, science and etc it seems to work very well, I liked it, most thought provoking.
Hope Tuesday is kinder to you.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Made me laugh.
Particularly as I sport a plait occasionally myself.
As for Mondays... I still hum the Boomtown Rats review of the day. Remember that one?

Clair Humphries said...

I loved 'The Worst Witch!' How fab, to channel Mildred Hubble as a fashion icon - this cheered me up on a drab winter morning :)

Maria Zannini said...

You could start a fashion trend. LOL. I have a tendency to dress a little quirky. Strangely enough, it always happens on Mondays.

PS I don't know why Reader doesn't show your blog posts anymore. It's still in there. I'm going to try reloading the url and see if that helps.