Thursday 28 July 2011

Apologies about Backlinks

It seems that my blog posts are popping up a gadzillion times on other people’s blogs, under their posts. I have no idea why this is happening, and have asked Blogger HQ to look into it.

The only thing I think it ‘could’ relate to is that I follow a lot of blogs via the Blog List widget, which refreshes when people publish a new post on their blog. This blog list is in the frame of the template I use for my blog, so appears on every individual post page, and this seems to be what is throwing up tons of misleading ‘backlinks’ on blogs. But I’m not the only person to use the Blog List widget, so have no idea why it is just my blog that is showing up under ‘Links to this post’’. Why me?!

I have checked the settings of this blog and nowhere does it say ‘tick here for creating numerous annoying backlinks’.

As far as I can see, backlinks obviously don’t work the way they should, and I deselect them on here for that reason. They should only show actual links relevant to the post i.e. when someone had read a fab post, gone back to their blog, created a post about that person’s fab post, and published it saying ‘go read this person’s fabulous post!’ They should not be picking up everyone who links / follows a blog.

Is anyone else having this problem?

So until Blogger fixes it, I can only apologise. It is awfully embarrassing, but probably not as embarrassing as yesterday when I only realised in the evening that the zip on my dress was undone, which meant all day I was wandering around work flashing my underwear. Nice.

PS. While waiting for a reply from Blogger, I have decided to delete my Blog List and create a new one in the hope that the problem resolves itself!

14 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Oh noes!!! I was never harassed by your blog posts!! LOL!! I feel left out now!! But seriously! Good luck sorting out Blogger bumps and blimps!!! Take care
x

Linda Starr said...

Hey I'd like to figure out how to get more backlinks, but seriously I did notice on some other blogs that they have backlinks on a current post way back forever, so there must be a glitch with blogger.

snafu said...

I have seen that from other bloggers but not from you. It is a glitch in this Blogspot software I think.

Sarah said...

I've had dozens of backlinks from your blog for a long time, but I think they've only shown up in the "preview", never in the post once it's live. I'm sorry you're having to fix this--as if you need one more random thing to do! It never really bothered me, though. I just assumed it was random Blogger nuttiness. No worries!

Maggie May said...

I've been having the same problem with some of my posts too.
I think most people are having problems with blogger one way or another so I hope no one takes exception to this.
Like you, I read other people' s blogs this way too, via the little gadget.
Just relax & go with it!!!!!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Unknown said...

Hi There, I posted the problem on blogger and here's their reply to me

"These are backlinks to your post. The odd thing is that the links to your blog appear in the source code for her page, but not on the page itself.

In any case, to remove them, go to Design>Page Elements, click Edit in the Blog Posts box, and under Post Page Options, uncheck "Links to this post", then save your changes. Note that this should remove backlinks on all your posts."

I hope that this helps. I have done what they said, and the back links have gone. Not sure how this affects google, but at least it works.

Certainly some kind of glitch, at least its from someone I know.

Jayne said...

Hi ATA - thanks for also posting about it on Blogger Help and for getting an answer!

But I am still confused as to why these links are in my blog's source code. That is really odd, and suggests it's something to do with the Blogger template I am using, which means anyone else using the same template will be experiencing this problem.

I have jumped in on your Help thread to see if anyone can follow it up and tell me why it is in the source code. Here's hoping!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I see a whole lot of links when I preview a post, but after I publish, they are gone! Have all those links got you more views or followers? *just wondering*

Jayne said...

Karen - no, I actually think people have unfollowed because they think I am doing this on purpose. :(

It's actually really annoying, so I hope someone at Blogger responds soon and fixes the problem.

Mise said...

I'm just here ticking the 'Forgive that nice Jayne anything, not that the backlink stuff matters at all, at all" button.

Unknown said...

I do get a lot of links under my posts, but that does not bother me...I hope my posts are not showing up on others' blogs as backlinks!

As long as you're not spamming people, and it is a glitch, no one should get annoyed at all!

Out on the prairie said...

No problems here

Peggy Eddleman said...

That's crazy! I've never even heard of that happening! Good luck getting it resolved.

Shirley Wells said...

Blogger seems to have a mind of its own at times and I'm afraid I've given up with it. I've always read blog posts in Reader. Good luck getting the problem resolved!