Friday 15 April 2011

L is for… Lucy

Lucy Pevensie from the Narnia books seems to take everything in her stride. A magical winter wonderland at the back of a wardrobe? Fine, I’ll borrow a fur coat. A talking faun? Sure, let’s have tea. She is utterly unfazed by the most magical things, and for that I can well believe her later nickname of ‘valiant’.

Lucy is the youngest of four, and she is the last to be believed, the first to be doubted. I shared her frustration, being the youngest in my own family, and so identified strongly with Lucy, to the point where I once crossed her name out of the book and put my own. Yikes - what a confession for a book-lover! The other reason I wanted to be Lucy was because she was the closest to Aslan, who I pictured in my head as a giant cat.

Lucy was the reason that I spent an inordinate amount of time sitting in my wardrobe when I was a child, although I was more likely to find a spider than Mr Tumnus.

The Chronicles of Narnia
Published: Between 1949 and 1954
Author: C.S. Lewis
Original illustrator: Pauline Baynes

Valiant fact one: I have been winched down a manhole to explore London’s lost underground rivers.
Valiant fact two: I used to read my brother’s ‘Valiant’ annuals on the sly – these were boy’s adventure type tales.
Valiant fact three: I’ve been up in a helicopter (which is brave as I’m not fond of heights!)
Valiant fact four: I do one extreme sport - snowboarding.
Valiant fact five: I’m okay with spiders as long as they don’t come anywhere near me.

15 comments:

SueH said...

I loved Lucy, too - she was the youngest and always a bit patronised by her older siblings - I like the fact that she seemed to have a closer relationship with Aslan! Although the screen adaptations of the Chronicles of Narnia are good I much prefer the original books.

SueH

Old Kitty said...

Wow! Talk about being Xena incarnate!! Wow!!! I am in AWE at your valiant adventures!!! Wow! And Wow again!:-)

Lucy Pevensie!!! I've not thought of her as such a cool cucumber but ya know??!?! The way you put it here, I now know that she is! Yay for her!

Take care
x

Karen Jones Gowen said...

You are so right, I never saw her this way before!

Unknown said...

I loved Narnia and the Katy books too, it is said that we gain advance understanding of life from the books we read when young, and it was certainly true with those Katy books. :0)

The Words Crafter said...

I absolutely love Lucy!!!!! And you had a wardrobe?!!! I'm so jealous :)

Al said...

I love the Narnia books. I guess Lucy is the star of the books she features in

Liz said...

Obsessed with the Narnia books - my favorite being Voyage of the Dawntreader.

Love your valiant facts - most impressed that you aren't afraid of spiders!!

catdownunder said...

You are indeed valiant - I am terrified by the thought of a helicopter...indeed I do not like flying! We cats prefer to keep four paws on the ground thankyou!
Lucy is brave though and the others were horrible to her.

Out on the prairie said...

Lucy carried the others when they were weak, I enjoyed her as one of the best characters.

Laura S. said...

We have a lot in common with this post! I'm the youngest so I felt a strong connection with Lucy, too. I loved the Narnia books because the Pevensies were two boys and two girls just like me and my own siblings. Such great books!

I snowboard (but not at all extreme-like; I just snowboard down the hills but avoid jumps and things!) and I'm okay with spiders as long as they're no where near me too!

Rachna Chhabria said...

I love the Narnia books. There is a award for you on my blog.

Deniz Bevan said...

I love the Narnia books. I always hoped I'd be like Lucy - the one that sees Aslan the most. Pauline Baynes' illustrations are so lovely. And scary at times too - I still can't look at the page with the image of Tash.

Rose said...

I loved all the Narnia books, of course, but really all of them and especially the first one. I had never really thought about which character I liked best though- I didn't like Edmund but now as an adult see that his journey is the most interesting. Lucy has the innocence of childhood though and is the lead character really- such wonderful, wonderful books and I don't really care whether they are or aren't religious, they're just good

Wendy@FabNouveau said...

I felt the same about Lucy and in fact so many times i'd get so frustrated with her brothers and sister who seemed to know it all. In fact she always seemed to emanate an old soul to me, she seemed far too wise for her age. I just got my first two Narnia books. Totally chaffed after everything that's been said here.

Wendy@FabNouveau said...

I felt the same about Lucy and in fact so many times i'd get so frustrated with her brothers and sister who seemed to know it all. In fact she always seemed to emanate an old soul to me, she seemed far too wise for her age. I just got my first two Narnia books. Totally chaffed after everything that's been said here.