Thursday 6 September 2007

Interview answers

I had to answer three short questions this week, that will run in one of the magazines I write for occasionally. I was allowed ten words to answer the following (questions in bold, my answers below)...

Style icon: Grace Kelly or Kate Moss?
Grace Kelly, grace by name, grace by nature.

Do I use Facebook?
Not at all! Although it doesn’t stop me getting invites…

I spent the summer…
Drinking Pimms.

Eurk, I hit send and then thought those answers are really crap. See, I do prefer Grace Kelly’s style to Kate Moss’s, mainly because Kate gets told what to wear and when she is on her own time she seems to slope around in whatever is comfy. But Kate is obviously the ‘cool’ choice… and it doesn’t help that I reached for a tired cliché to describe why I prefer Grace Kelly – still, tricky to say in ten words that I prefer black and white photography, that the pictures I have seen of Grace are mainly black and white and that she is always pictured looking classy, which I admire. Although saying that, these were the days before being papped sloping around was considered the norm, so I wouldn’t see pics of Grace Kelly farting around in baggy jeans with a Starbucks coffee like you do Miss Moss, which could change my opinion (stops herself about to go around in a circle).

And I avoid Facebook like the plague (another un-cool point, I feel), because I seriously do not need another time waster to my day. I already know everyone’s email that I want to know, being on Facebook just gives me another way to contact the people I already contact and therefore another thing to check, and I have more than enough things to check already. It doesn’t stop people asking me why I am not on there though, or getting invites… The whole thing smacks of a Friends Reunited craze to me, and who still checks that out eh? Eh? Exactly.

And drinking Pimms… for a start that is just a line that means nothing, I don’t want to say anything personal here, yet wanted to sound, oh I dunno – fun? Why did I put that? And Pimms, a nice drink but associated with braying twits (see advert). Again, unoriginal to choose that brand of drink and it is not even true, but who wants these answers:

I spent the summer…
…nervously pacing around my room, trying to feel confident.
…watching re-runs of House, Life on Mars and Top Gear every night.
…in Tesco, trying to think up healthy lunchtime diversions.

See? So the answers I actually gave make me sound like a ponce-y safari suit wearing luddite, with alcohol problems. Great…

2 comments:

Ben said...

Having seen only Rear Window, and just recently, I am already quite certain that Grace Kelly is The Perfect Girlfriend™

Nice blog yourself - from one struggling novelist to another.

Jayne said...

Oh good, another vote for Grace Kelly! And I am sure plenty of folk would agree with you there...

And thanks for popping over, nice to see you here. Here's to one day being novelists without the struggle!